Studying at Business College Helsinki

6.1 Supporting students’ independent initiative

Vocational upper secondary qualification provides you with good abilities for finding employment and operating in the changing world as well as general eligibility for further studies. Once you have completed a vocational qualification in business and administration, or information and communications technology, you can move to working life, or continue your studies in a university of applied sciences or university, for instance, in the fields of economics or social sciences.

Studying in the upper secondary level requires that you assume responsibility of your own studies, are active and direct yourself. If necessary, you can ask for help and guidance throughout your studies. We support your professional growth and development throughout the learning process.

6.2 Rules

The rules apply to all Business College students and personnel, and you must comply with them in all events organised by the college, and when acting as a representative of the college. In training and apprenticeship as well as vocational skills demonstrations or in qualification situations taking place in actual work situations, primarily the workplace’s rules are followed.

1. Behave in a polite and appropriate manner on all premises and within all circumstances. Give everyone peace and quiet to study and work. Follow the instructions provided by the personnel, and the educational institution’s rules.
2. Maintain a good and safe atmosphere; always be kind and honest. Dress appropriately and in an outfit suited to the situation.
3. Work according to your timetable and follow the rules of the training or apprenticeship workplace during on-the-job training.
4. Arrive at lessons on time. Classroom doors remain shut after the lesson has started. If you are late because of a delay in public transportation, for instance, report this to your teacher in good time before the start of the lesson.
5. Participate in lessons, be active and complete the given assignments as agreed. Just being present isn’t enough.
6. Report your absences to your PCDP instructor and teachers, and make sure that you complete all additional work required to make up your absences.
7. Use the educational institution’s property appropriately and treat it with care. Do not drink or eat during lessons. A person who causes damage is liable for the damage.

Bringing, consuming, using, selling, passing on and offering substances, drugs and snuff are forbidden as is appearing intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics in study-related situations, at the educational institution or events organised by it.
Our educational institution is smoke-free. This applies to both indoors and outdoors.

Everyone is responsible for following the rules and acting as a good example for their part. Each member of personnel has the right and obligation to intervene immediately with someone breaking the rules.

Procedure in case of broken rules:
1. A reprimand from the teacher or the PCDP instructor. An entry will be recorded on Wilma and reported to a minor’s guardian.
2. A reprimand from the educational management (Director, Education or Education Manager), an entry will be recorded on Wilma and guardians contacted.
3. A written warning by the principal or vice principal of severe or repeated breaking of rules (at least 3 entries of reprimands). The student must be heard before issuing a written warning.
4. Dismissing the student from the educational institution for a maximum of one year on the principal’s decision. Before the student is dismissed from the educational institution, the student’s (under 18 year old) guardian must be heard.
5. Inappropriate use of information devices and software may result in limitations or (temporary) prohibition to use the educational institution’s information network.

All rule breaking will be recorded in the study administration system. The entry is recorded by the person reprimanding, the person making any decision related to the right to study or the person issuing the warning.

Students will be liable for damages in cases of misusing, vandalising or breaking anything on the educational institution’s premises, furniture or devices.

If the student has many absences and their studies don’t advance, this will result in a PCDP discussion, clarifying how the studies can advance, contacting a minor’s guardians and the possible temporary loss of the meal benefit.

The educational institution’s personnel have the right to order a student to leave, and to remove students who disturb others, do not comply with the order to leave, or who no longer has the right to study in the college. This includes the events organised by the educational institution and the educational institution’s premises. If the student resists and tries to avoid being removed from the facilities, the educational institution’s personnel have the right to use the necessary, justified force to remove the student while taking into account the student’s age, how threatening the situation is, and the overall situation. Weapons may not be used. The police can be called, if necessary.

6.3 Participating in studies and being a full-time student

The qualification units to be completed by the student are agreed upon in the PCDP guidance together with the student. In the PCDP discussion, also the studies in the qualification units and on-the-job learning are agreed upon with which the student will acquire the necessary skills for the vocational skills demonstration. In addition, the PCDP will include agreeing upon how the student must participate in classroom teaching. On average, the studies last approximately 3 years if the student has before completed only basic education. If the student has another upper secondary level qualification, the studies will last approximately 2 years. It is important to stick to the PCDP plan in order to graduate on time. Competence recognition will help you achieve your qualification in lesser time. Competence recognition may affect receiving student financial aid.

The PCDP instructor monitors how the studies advance and engages in PCDP discussions with you. In these discussion, the status of your studies is reviewed and a plan is made to complete any possible studies you should have completed but have not. Guidance is entered to Wilma and also the guardians of minors can see them there. If your studies are not advancing or you have plenty of absences, your PCDP instructor will have a serious discussion with you. If your studies do not advance after this, you will be invited to a hearing. After this, your studies may be stated to have ended.

6.4 Reporting absences

You may not be absent without permission. If you cannot attend a classroom lesson due to an acute illness or another similar reason, report this to the teacher through Wilma (Report absences menu). Guardians can also sign off on minor students’ absences through Wilma.
If you know in advance that you will be away, for instance due to a hospital visit or another personal reason, make sure you agree in beforehand with your PCDP instructor on how you will complete the assignment given during your absence. If you cannot attend teaching during a longer period due to an illness or another reason, you must apply for a temporary discontinuation of your studies. A temporary discontinuation is granted primarily for a term or academic year.

Holidays outside the school’s holiday terms are applied from the PCDP instructor. The PCDP instructor is also the person granting the holiday.

The teacher records the absences in the study management system (Wilma) primarily at the start of each lesson and at least every week. The PCDP instructor and study counsellors monitor students’ absences and contact them to find out the reason, if necessary.

The parents/guardians of minor students see absences from Wilma. We also report Kela if a student receiving a study grant or school transport subsidy has a significant number of absences. This may affect your study grant. Guardians are also notified of absences.
You can check your recorded absences from Wilma. If you have questions about your absence entries, primarily contact the teacher who has recorded the entry.

Remember that you may not be absent without permission. Long-term or repeated absences may result in losing your place of study.

6.5 Temporary discontinuation of studies

If you have a long-term diseases, you are about to start a parental leave, you are starting your military service or you have another severe personal reason, you can apply for a temporary discontinuation of studies. In this case, contact your PCDP instructor, study counsellor, curator, teacher responsible for special education or special education teacher without delay.

You may be granted a temporary discontinuation for a defined period time, primarily for a term or academic year. The time of the temporary discontinuation is not counted in your studying time. The application of discontinuation must be submitted in good time before your planned leave, and you may not apply for a discontinuation afterwards. Forms related to studying are found in Wilma in electronic form.
When you want to continue your studies after a temporary discontinuation, you must always report it in writing to the student affairs office in beforehand. In addition, you must register in person at the student affairs office when you return to the educational institution after a temporary discontinuation.